For Psiloritis geopark the local communities’ will, priorities and needs are of high importance and actually the reason to create and operate the geopark. Since its establishment, local communities through their administrative authorities were participating in the decision making of Geopark. A wider participation including NGOs, regional authorities and institutions, educational and scientific organizations as well as producer’s associations, was set as a first priority by geopark.
The Council of AKOMM Psiloritis SA decided to establish a Geopark Management Committee
attributing it with authorities related with policy and strategy development, overviewing finance and administration, scheduling activities and events and advising. The Committee receives and manages its own budget and refers directly to the Council of AKOMM Psiloritis.
At present the following organizations participate at Psiloritis Geopark Management Committee
- AKOMM Psiloritis SA (2 members, one acting as President of Committee)
- Natural History Museum of University of Crete (one member acting as Vice President)
- Forest department of the Decentralised Administration of Crete (one member)
- Environment department of the Decentralised Administration of Crete (one member)
- Environment department of the Region of Crete (one member)
- Anogia Environmental Education Center (one member)
- Institute for Speleological Research of Greece (one member)
- Psiloritis Land Association (one member)
- Geotechnical Chamber of Crete (one member)
The Committee operates under a certain Operational Guideline